PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR problems - compass reading, DHI drift, lost
Old 20th Apr 2017, 18:04
Cestlavie077

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR problems - compass reading, DHI drift, lost

Hello everyone,

I just finished PPL and starting my time building. Even I passed PPL check ride but I'm not very confident with my navigation skills. I'll try to list all of my problems down here, asking if any of you have any idea of how to solve my troubles

1. DHI drift: I don't know if this is because of the bad instrument or not, but the DHI drifts a lot (after turning, during straight and level flight...). Of course I was trained to check it some 15mins (I did every 5mins) but the reliability of this thing keeps making me worry if it shows me the right heading or not.

2. Compass: This is the most confusing thing, it never stays still, it was jumping for like 30-40 deg. Every times I think my DHI drifted, I need a bunch of time to stare at it and leading me nowhere. I can't read it, and I cant determine if my DHI is right or wrong.

3. Estimating wind direction/speed using leg's time: Of course we all have METAR with us every flight, but the wind changed a bit and making our heading isn't correct any more. Normally I'll base on landmarks to navigate and find a new heading. But I heard someone tell me: "If you can estimate the wind direction by taking aware of the previous leg's time (it related to GS)". For this I don't really understand...

For my training, I understand that I have many methods to navigation in VFR flight: using time, using heading, using landmarks....etc. But because of the reliability of the equipment, right now I keep flying major on Landmarks, IF I lost my landmarks during flight, then that's it. I have nothing to recover.

Do you guys have any experiences for my problems? So many thanks.