PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us the story of your first solo
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 10:41
tobster911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember mine like it was yesterday (it was only a couple of years ago). I felt I was nearly ready to solo, and on a beautifully calm and clear day, I went up with my instructor. I did 3 touch and go's (1 x normal, 1 x flapless (not my best landing ever) and 1 x glide approach) - on the last one, he told me to make it a full stop. We taxied back to the holding point, and he simply told me that with less weight in the plane it will handle differently. He then told me to do another 3 touch and go's, unplugged his headset and jumped out.

I was quite nervous, but after telling myself I could do it (otherwise he wouldn't be letting me), I went for it. I remember the plane accelerating what seemed to be much quicker than usual, and I was airborne. As I was turning downwind, I got a nice little red flashing light and a low fuel warning, so I called downwind, then informed them of the situation. I was told I'd be fine for the 3 I had to do, so I proceeded and did them. Don't think I stopped talking/singing/humming to myself for the whole time, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.