PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OpenFLARM project
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2017, 14:30
homeuser2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OpenFLARM and Pilotaware

Dear all,

it´s very interesting to read this and this discussion seems to reveal more details than the actual OpenFLARM homepage. I´m a Pilotaware user flying a Mooney and I´d be very interested in having the FLARM reception inegrated to PAW. Till now I understood that FLARM reception may technically be possible but illegal. Could anybody connected to the OpenFLARM project indicate why their method of reception is legal and how it technically works? I guess if this is with good reasoning and given the fact that OpenFLARM is really "open", PAW developers could probably use the same method to integrate this into PAW.

Not that I would not apprechiate the effort that OpenFLARM developers invest, but I´ll not put two non-certified devices into my plane and in my view PAW is already noticable steps ahead...

Again: I´m just a user with no connection to any of the providers/developers. I´m just happy with what PAW does already and the only thing I´m missing there is FLARM reception. I actually don´t care much about the lack of FLARM Tx since it´ll in any case be me to divert to avoid a collision. Thus it´s far more important that I know where the glider is then vice versa...

Thanks