PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us the story of your first solo
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2017, 13:09
RikJonAtk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two first solos

My first was at RAF Wyton, I was a member of the UAS in 2003 and I did my first solo in a Grob Tutor after about 10hrs or so. Pretty uneventful flight but I did find myself high and fast on the downwind which I was able to correct before turning final. The circuit pattern was different to civvie circuits and we flew a continuous decening semi-circle from 800ft to 400ft, 80kts, then landed 'firmly' (oops!) on the massive (V bomber sized) runway and job done. Squadron tradition dictated I then got a bucket of water thrown over me followed by some bar antics that I was too drunk to remember most of. I left the squadron in 2004 when I finished uni and haven't been back in a light aircraft since, until ~2 weeks ago. Bloody good memories of that place; just a shame the hours available to UAS students have since been chopped significantly.

Second first solo was today, 13 years later at Oxford Kiddlington (EGTK) in a PA-28-140. Had a check flight with the boss then went round for a circuit on my own. Departure was fine and I called downwind as usual but ATC authorised a jet on to the RW as I was turning for final approach so I went around at ~1000ft QNH for another lap. Forgot to reset my carb heat but spotted it on my downwind checks. Called downwind again, really early this time, and ATC replied with call final, then they cleared a twin engine Turbo prop to take off as I was still a few minutes away. This guy was slow to go and he was still stationary on the RW as I turned left base. As I was about to make my final turn he started rolling and I was just about to call my second go-around but ATC cleared me to land before I could hit the Tx button. I accepted the clearance but in hindsight I probably should have gone round again as seeing the aircraft on the RW distracted me and I overflew the centre line by some way. Brought it back on centre and landed, albeit with a bit of a float as I was about 5-10kts too fast, and left of centre, but I got it down gently and job done. Bit eventful, but good to get the experience under my belt :-) ATC called on my return Taxi to congratulate my first solo and to apologise for the go around which was nice.

PS - Forgot to pull my flaps up too. Only realised when I parked up... Oops! :-/