PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying an ILS in VMC (Low hour PPL)
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2017, 11:53
tobster911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying an ILS in VMC (Low hour PPL)

Good Afternoon All,

***Please let me start by saying that I understand this was covered a number of years ago, but as I don't understand it much, I'm asking again. Also, please understand that this is JUST a question, I have no intention of being in a situation where I have to use it before I've done my IR, or at least IR(R). I am a very low hour PPL.***

So, my question is this. My understanding of an ILS is that it is used to assist a pilot with lining up with the runway, and descending in such a manner as, even without outside references, they can land safely. Is that correct? Now, I have NO idea how one would even start to use an ILS (so if someone has time, it would be great to get a rough overview of how it works), but, if I asked to be taught it at the flight school, prior to starting instrument training (funds don't currently allow me to do the proper course), would that be acceptable?

I gather that, in the hugely unlikely event (unless you've done bad planning) that the weather closes in around you whilst en-route (and by closes in, I mean, really, closes in), you COULD ask for an ILS at your nearest airfield to allow you to land safely, if you were able to use it? Surely that would be a safer way to get you on the ground?

Hope that all makes sense. Basically, if I was able to be trained to use an ILS (but without gaining my full IR or IR(R), would I still be able to use one just to practice, in VMC?

Thanks in advance

T