PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A no automation Zero Zero Landing with finesse
Old 19th Apr 2017, 11:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One observation I would make is that the modern European SH loco environment is frequently not a great context in which to encourage an FO to practice their manual, un-directed hand flying skills. In a previous company, flying to regional airports, I was more than happy, and indeed encouraged FOs to practice their skills.

That's sad, & curious, because i would have thought it an ideal multi-sector environment to hone skills and keep them tuned. I note you comment about regional airport flying, and indeed in my apprenticeship days, it was in that kind of flying, including the Med airport & Greek islands, that we maximised manual flying. LGW, MAN, STN, LTN etc. didn't stop us. What we did do was use good judgment when it was appropriate to do so. After a night TFS back into UK was not a good time, but over a 4 day block with 1 captain it became a matter of pride for both to demonstrate their skills at a variety of airports. Low fuel low drag CDA's from TOD was the target. Spool up before OM and it was beer time.
Many EU SH LOCO's operate in & out of regional airports all the time. If not tired then do it. It should be your judgement.