PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A no automation Zero Zero Landing with finesse
Old 19th Apr 2017, 11:26
speedrestriction
I REALLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE

Received 102 Likes on 34 Posts
One observation I would make is that the modern European SH loco environment is frequently not a great context in which to encourage an FO to practice their manual, un-directed hand flying skills. In a previous company, flying to regional airports, I was more than happy, and indeed encouraged FOs to practice their skills.

Where I am now, SH from a busy London airport, tiring rosters, tight block times, minimum spacing between departures and arrivals, operating at all hours of the day, lots of destinations which are infrequently visited - I rarely see good opportunities for guys to practice basic flying skills. I am glad that my past gave me plenty of opportunity for hand flying, but looking across the cockpit at younger guys having joined straight onto shiny autojet from flying school, unfortunately they won't have the opportunity to develop that reserve of experience for that super rare event. Having said that I do think that the current system equips them well for the 99.9% routine day job and those risks more usually posed in that environment.