PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Samsung excess battery drain
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2017, 20:23
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been looking at every thing that might be going on in the phone. It is not the battery, I have a second nearly new one that gets run down just as quickly when it is really bad. Both batteries last 2 to 3 days when I am at home where the phone network is good. On Sunday the battery ran down in about 5 hours. The phone was in my pocket and I was out and about. The first time I looked at it was just as it turned itself off due to low battery so I was not able to check what was going on in the battery monitor.

Today, it only used 10% of the battery in 5 hours but then after 8 hours it was down to 45% left. Looking at the battery use monitor showed that about 6 hours in something started that really dragged the battery down. A short while later the battery load increased again, in several steps. GPSD had used 61%, it had only been running for 1hr 23M. I don't know if the phone re-booted and a number of processes that I had manually forced to stop had restarted themselves or if something else kicked GPSD into life. I didn't call on any apps that might need location services such as MAPS, Fitbit (don't know why this wants it!) or Repeater (which can locate from the phone system).

GPSD is not listed in the running apps (so I can't kill it), location services are all turned off, GPS is turned off but GPSD continues to consume much battery power. A google search gives conflicting reasons for GPSD using battery but some suggest that it isn't the actual culprit, it's just being given the blame by the battery monitor.

Help.