PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BHS - CHC in Brazil S92 recent event
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2017, 19:36
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Lycra, it's really hard not to vent at head following your post. It was a gin clear day. The landing brief from the PF should have identified the obstacles in the undershoot and the PNF should confirm his assessment.
From that brief, given in a stabilised approach at a point in space where both pilots can see the helideck environment, the only acceptable approach is OFFSET, i.e. 90 degrees across to the forward edge of the aiming circle.

If that assessment and brief did not conclude the OFFSET approach then they were doomed from that point.

However, if the brief was correct, the LTCs sole mission is to keep the PF moving forward until his arse is in line with the bumline. This is perfectly assessable by careful spatial awareness in the latter stages. Any sense that the PF is trying to cross early must be immediatlety corrected.

To accept a 45 degree crossing with obstacles in the undershoot is Russian roulette and the key to understanding that is knowledge of CAP437 and the minimum safety distances required which in truth, will chill your piss when you are at any time less than level with the bumline.

Hitting an object with your rotor in 8/8s blue! I am sorry there are no excuses and no hiding places.

Knowledge drives technique and the fear knowledge instills, when technique is flawed, should motivate pilots to invest in the SAFEST solution.

That is, if no cross hatching is in play, on deck equal to, or greater than your D value, if you cross the deck with your arse level with the bum line (90 degrees) your tail will be safe. This type of landing should be taught and perfected LONG before the pilot is ever permitted to cross at 45 degrees. The crossing at 45 degrees SHOULD be the exception, when both pilots 100% agree that the undershoot is clear.

This is a Mantra I hammered into my students from day 1.

From what you post, I say poor CRM, poor decision making and failure to understand just how small the safety margins are when you choose to cross at 45 degrees.

Caused, in majority of cases, by over obsessing about engine failures.

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 19th Apr 2017 at 02:39.