PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 pro-active familiarisation for PPL
Old 18th Apr 2017, 15:24
Armchairflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to be corrected, but I would add Swiss airports to the list of eligible "field" sources regarding correct (English) ICAO phraseology, and there are several available on liveatc.net.

Side note (and question to the instructors here) regarding the pros(?) and cons of PC simulator use: in my case, the idea of "I wonder how flying feels in reality" which led to my going for a PPL stems from MSFS exploits, and I suppose I am not the only person with that "background". Maybe my flight instructors were simply so polite as to never rub this in as a handicap -- or it really wasn't of noticeable importance after all. Do you think it is really the PC simming per se which causes trouble, or rather an "I already learnt about flying from MSFS/X-Plane/whatever, so no need to (re)learn"-attitude?

Having said that, I completely agree that for all aircraft handling aspects, PC sims (no matter which one, and even with joystick/yoke, pedals, and TrackIR) are largely useless and transfer badly to the real thing (the other way around works better IMHO ). By contrast, with good scenery packs they can be pretty helpful for improving navigation (even without scenery packs for pre-GPS radio navigation) and online networks like VATSIM or IVAO offer the opportunity to practice active RT fluency for free.