PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 11:00
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tankengine
Arrrrggghhhh!
Don't "pick it up with rudder"!!
Apply rudder to stop further wing drop while lowering the nose to come out of the stall and once recovered use appropriate controls to recover to level flight. Recovering from the stall is number one priority.

I do have Auster experience.
I posted the article because it again raises the fact that older aircraft may not have the same aerodynamics as later ones do. I think Centaurus made a comment to that effect in an earlier post.

Not that I'm in the habit of aggressively stalling it, except when landing, these days in deference to both our ages, my technique is to rapidly lower the nose while applying rudder to stop it yawing. As it's now unstalled, I level the wings and add power as appropriate bearing in mind the yellow arc starts at 95 KN. Seems to work.

I have more than 500 hours in the AUSTER and now feel I'm in control more often than not.

I also have about the same time in gliders and I've never got over that instant stick forward reaction to low inertia.

Kaz