PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Military critical pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2017, 08:37
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Curtain rod
And that's why that general quickly reversed his stance, and he actually cares about solving the problem properly.
CR,

If you're referring to the USAF general quoted in several of these articles, I'm sure he's keenly interested in solving HIS problem. And his problem is not pilot supply in the private sector; I doubt he could care any less about that. He's only talking to the airline industry because that's a big source of HIS problem.

All the articles I've seen on this issue mention discussions between the airline industry and the military in an attempt to come to some agreement about military pilot attrition. There are opposing motives at work here: the military doesn't want to lose pilots...and the airlines want every one of the military's pilots...EVERY one of 'em ! Those differences are so wide I can't imagine what a compromise would be....other than interesting.

Pilot "sharing" ? They've been doing that as long as I've been aware via the reserves and national guard units with MLOA given to pilots as needed. I'd like to hear what the airline industry has to say about "part time" pilots under some sharing arrangement beyond the extent of what's already in place.

I also suggest that retention bonuses won't quite do it either unless they total in the millions (unlikely).

Of course, I'm merely an interested observer and my opinion is only worth what you paid for it (or maybe even less !).

Last edited by bafanguy; 18th Apr 2017 at 09:21.