PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight Req- Why?
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2003, 17:17
thehoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The top brass in the British military have long had a big question mark over many of their decisions, and this appears to be another one.
I am going on the old saying 'lions led by donkeys'! The top dogs of the British military are often there because of who their dads are, rather than on merit or intelligence! Steriotypical viewoint of course!

As for 'wasting time' correcting vision, I am sure anyone capable of flying a plane would have little trouble putting their glasses on quickly!

Training someone to fly a military aircraft is a time consuming and expensive business and steps should be taken to ensure that candidates are in good physical condition. If there is a good reason why people with less than perfect vision shouldn't be allowed to fly then I would accept it.

However, there doesn't seem to be one. Other airforces, including the most advanced AF in the world, allow corrected vision - so why is the RAF not budging?

I don't know much about flying, but I do know that they are a great many more skills required than being able to read the bottom line of the board without glasses.

My optician said that wearing glasses I have better than perfect vision. So in wearing them I actually have better vision than most of the RAF pilots anyway!