PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Pilot - Nature or Nurture?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2017, 20:21
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,589 Likes on 726 Posts
I guess I was "Nature" as an ATCO, and bloody good at the job ... but they never let me be an Instructor. Apparently I was 'too tactical'. ]
Now we come to those who are good instructors.

I was always poor in the first few hours of which ever qualification I was given, but at some stage something "clicked" and I got it. It wasn't technique and formula - suddenly I knew how. That was why subsequently I was an awful instructor - and I know I was, but inevitably was made responsible for training up to OC Trg at a CRC because I was good at my job.

In retrospect the nurture are the best instructors - they know how to teach nurture students - natural fliers will pick it up anyway and also some off the additional lessons. Natural instructors on the other hand have no comprehension of the problems that those less gifted experience.

I can remember students remonstrating with them as to why I had told them what they had done one day was right, but the next day was wrong and all I could respond was - "because", and as to why I did something at a particular moment and because all I could respond was because "it felt right" and they'd get it eventually. And why some controllers hated controlling and threw up before or after difficult sorties and why I loved and revelled in them - bring them on!

You need both.