PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2017, 20:05
Brutal

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you ex-machina, I cannot remember ever using a wx radar where the gain could not be adjusted in wx mode....maybe I have been flying too long??

AAKEE
"I think most offshore/SAR people knows how to tune a radar".

Sorry to inform you that many times I have witnessed, especially during checks pilots not properly using the radar...ARA overhead, in the descent I noticed a return that would be on our inbound track, we levelled off, turned to face the inbound track and had already reduced speed, then proceeded with the descent, with the tilt only just giving us a return at six miles, but not the previous target...when the P1 was questioned he hadn't noticed the return outbound and hadn't bothered to re-adjust the tilt to look for potential returns closer, and not understood that the reduction in airspeed made the nose pitch up slightly more, and lose the first return...very very simple errors, but potentially lethal....again, my post was not on specific radar types, but pilots failing to use/utilise/understand radar and it's pitfalls.

DB, I remember being taught that way too, full gain to start, adjust tilt, etc...