PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2003, 16:16
Waypoint 11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW's advice

I know it was ‘tongue in cheek’ but why don’t we actually do what WWW suggested and NOT pay for type ratings (even if we have the funds) and actively discourage others form doing so.

People have argued on this thread that you are at an advantage if you have 100 hours in a 737 compared with a pilot with 100 hours in a light twin.

All other things being equal I agree. However, speaking to people involved in airline recruitment they are equally concerned in your leadership, your potential to be a future Captain and whether they can sit next to you for 3 hours at a time without wanting to hit you. Paying for a 737 Type Rating does not indicate this.

People will argue that there will always be those that have the funds to pay for ratings and it is impossible to discourage them. I disagree, if Wannabe’s don’t pay for Type Ratings the supply of Type Rated pilots will dry up more quickly, it is up to us as a ‘Wannabe’s community’ to make sure that this doesn’t become the norm. The majority of future pilots read this thread, what educated people post on here will make a difference.

I have access to the capital. However my Grandfather would be turning in his grave if he knew I was having to use it to pay for a Type Rating. He would have wanted me to get a job through my ability and hard work and not through having a financial advantage over others.

Things are improving in the airlines I have contacts in and when they start recruiting they will NOT be looking for a 737 Type Rating and 100 hours on Type but the other factors that I have highlighted above.

DO NOT PAY FOR A TYPE RATING.