PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is the revenue Alan? (EK alliance)
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2017, 21:55
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by lc_461
I think you will find as well there has never been a separate financial report for JQ long haul...
Given all the new toys but their traffic stats have never been as good as mainline in places such as Japan ~ and they are frequently known to have 2 for 1 deals etc.

As for EK, I imagine one of the ideas was - if you can't beat them, at least neutralise and ?profit out of one of your biggest and most aggressive competitors! This then allowed a refocus on high growth areas (Asia) and high cost competitors (USA) where QF can actually make money. Domestic oncarriage from EK also would have been major compared to BA as mentioned (~100 flights/week compared to ?7).
My point above. The oncarriage from EK to domestic benefits QF substantially more than still flying to FRA or CDG. It was in fact a smart move by QF and look at the rules that surround the bookings which ensure that QF makes a profit out of every seat it sells to EK on QF domestic and regional in that way, it provides sufficient incentive that it is not worth an EK customer flying on VA or anyone else in terms of their status and points.