PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2017, 21:33
Cat Funt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACW599
Somewhat off-topic but does anyone know how many ex-VGS people have made the transition to the AEF Tutor? I only know of two.
I heard that around 50-60 expressed an interest. Some didn't make the cut and others were brushed-off sight unseen by some AEFs that are well-staffed already. I know of one currently cleared to fly cadets and another who has been in training for the last 12 months.

Would love to know how they're planning to increase AEF provision with insufficient aircraft and insufficient pilots on local and national scales. The number of QSPs is ever decreasing and it would appear that few retire to places like NI, Wales, Merseyside, West Midlands etc. Once training on the Prefect kicks in, it's unlikely that holding pilots will be able to fly cadets if their only previous Tutor experience is their UAS flying.

The incorporation of former VGS instructors, even if it was to be successful, was only going to be a one-time windfall of warm bodies. If AEF is to continue, what you will likely see is an influx of civilian pilots, which is rather ironic given Pippa's (and some VSOs) alleged aversion towards civilians flying things with engines for the Air Cadets.

To my mind, the "jam tomorrow" promise of more AEF was always nonsense. The only real question is whether the promise was made due to stupidity or mendacity.