PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Pilot - Nature or Nurture?
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2017, 14:55
gums

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts
Salute!

I think Pointius underestimates the number of naturals, but mainly in the advanced programs. Seems USAF and RAF cull the fast movers and the rest go to less demanding systems, and not single seat.

I only taught real basic stuff to the Vee, and the ones we got in the Dragonfly had gone thru two stages to get to us. Their nurtured ones went to FAC planes and Gooney Birds. I figure we only had about 20% nurtured. We also trained the first USAF Reserve unit and they came from C-119's!!! GASP! About half were nurtured, but the only real difficult thing in the Dragonlfly was helping them learn to do everything solo, with no help, and flying formation.

In my A-7 and F-16 years I only saw maybe 20% nurtured. But those folks usually had great situation awareness, were fast learners of the avionics and could navigate. They would not become Thunderbirds yet still be effective in combat. Biggest challenge for us was the two-seat background/mentality of many Double Ugly pilots.

I was something like those that ORAC references as far as some aspects of the mission. I was definitely a natural and soloed at age 16 after about 4 hops in taildraggers, then min time in the T-37 and soloed at minimum legal mission count. However, I sucked at A2A when I got to the Viper. I had about 3400 hours, of which 2400 was in mudbeaters ( my three tours to SEA, then two IP tours). Nevertherless, I kicked ass in A2G and low level nav. I qualified without the computer in strafe and divebomb.

As others opine, attitude and smarts can make up a lot for average "hands". Nevertheless, in the fast movers one will encounter some hairy situations from time to time and the good reflexes and "touch" will save the day. See the pic of my LEF on the bio. Then there was the flameout landing with battle damage back in 1968.

Gums opines...