PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA opinion: Aircraft must be grounded in temps over 40 degrees
Old 16th Apr 2017, 04:37
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The most modern aircraft I have an AFM is the C208. In limitations it says-

OUTSIDE AIR TEMPERATURE LIMITS
Cold Day: ·· -54°C from sea level to 25,000 feet.
Hot Day:
Ground Operations: +53°C from sea level to 5000 feet; ISA +37°C above 5000 feet. . Flight Operations: ISA +35°C from sea level to 25,000 feet.
The aircraft I am endorsed to fly, The C182P AFM does not have a temp limit anywhere in limitations...it has a service ceiling of 17700ft

If I am at AS, elevation 1789Ft and a temp of 42C...my 182 could surely never leave the runway..yet it does...why is this so?

OK whats the density altitude? for 42C...if pressure alt is right for AS then the density alt is going to be 5500ft say 6000ft...go back to chart for takeoff at max weight..look for ISA temp, not there so go to 20C graph and 6000ft
which gives you your takeoff performance...if someone is so bloody dumb not to understand how to use their P charts they do not deserve to hold their licence...ANY LICENCE!

So..if the there is no temp limit written in limitations there is NO LIMIT FOR TEMPERATURE!

Last time I passed PPL my wing sees only air density, my internal combustion engine only sees air density. The charts are there to help the pilot make interpretations easier. Just because the company calculations stop at 40C does not mean that is a limitation. If there is a pressure altitude up to 8000ft that means you have density altitude to 8000ft USE IT! and tell CASA where to bloody go if they ever try this on you!