PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 pro-active familiarisation for PPL
Old 15th Apr 2017, 23:46
AirWaterloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Pilot DAR, thanks. I have the 7 Pooley books and the 9 exam question books underway. I also downloaded the FAA's Pilot Handbook and started to extend my vocabulary with an English Aviation Vocabulary book.

However, the FlightAware listening is ABSOLUTELY a must for me as English is my 3rd language and currently I cannot repeat (just repeat) what the tower and pilots are saying. I pick-up some numbers, of course the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie stuff but that is about it. I MUST absolutely get used to the mix of fast speech, the complete lack of articulation and the accents where applicable and at least be able to repeat what was said (even if I would not fully understand the meaning). I teach (complex matters) in English so you can understand that it is quite scary to me that I cannot repeat a simple sentence that I hear in a radio communication.

I use JFK radio communications because, over here, it is said that New-Yorkers are the most difficult to understand Don't take that to serious