PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a Sea King?
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2003, 09:05
rotorboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, whats been covered is correct, you have to basicaly get your own type certificate (restricted). It would then be know as a Kakpipe 61 (or whatever). I know of a company that is currently doing that with 3 H models that they got out of the boneyard in AZ.

You may want to call Pacific Helicopters in Maui. They have three standard cat N models. All currently being used for transport, but the contract for these a/c expires in March. Rumor has it they may sell one or two of the three? worth a try. Also heard there may be a waiting list.

Almost all of the N and shortned N models you will find have been logged with and have been modded / stripped clean. You may have problems insuring them for transprt cat operations.

The list of these companys is lengthy, that may have one for sale or an A model for sale. Coulson, Hayes, VIH, Carson, Croman, HTS... I can keep going if you wish. My guess is with the logging indsutry dieing you could proably get one off the above . mentioned. Plus , it seems to me everything is forsale if the price is right!

A low time restricted cat 61 (since 9k overhaul) with good component time, should go for 1.5 to 2.5m.

Hmm. thinking about it you may want to call Silver Bay in AK. They are in recievership, have a quanity of parts and two flyable machines, and a couple parts queens. They tried to get out on fire this summer but coulndt pull it together. I think they have an A and an L.

Hope that is helpful.

rb