PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Does RAFA mean to those serving...and those who have served?
Old 15th Apr 2017, 09:02
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Organisations such as RAFA had their heyday when there were literally millions of ex servicemen around in the post war years. Clubs were naturally very "top heavy" with ex WW2 guys, and those of a younger generation could feel somewhat out of it. I once was slightly taken aback when a WW2 Bomber Command nav asked me if I had ever been on Stirlings, and a contemporary of mine who was ex Para got sick of being asked if he had been at Arnhem! Our local RBL started to go downhill when they opened membership to all and sundry, ex service or not, as the core membership started dying off, and the club soon attracted the town drunks who were just looking for a cheap pint. It's now a private club and I don't think it has any connection with the RBL any more. I assume the RAFA clubs have suffered a similar fate. Like others on here I buy my poppy each November and my B of B sticker in September, but that's it these days.