PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF 50th Reunion
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2017, 07:47
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
There may be better '1st person' carrier approach videos out there however AFAIK this one best illustrates the technique used by the old 'visual' approach A4G pilot. From what I have read current USN pilots tend to use the very accurate instruments to gauge distance downwind for example. To do it by 'eye' as seen by this Etendard pilot - with head swivelling - is the example needed. If you can see about half way around base turn the A4G pilot would pick up the meatball in the mirror and then fly it. At the same time the aircraft must 'cross the wake' of the carrier to line up on the angle deck centreline then 'nibble' to the right - perhaps - if already lined up to remain lined up (the angle deck centreline is always moving to the right during the approach).

Other Etendard videos show manic control movements that don't appear to be sped up - they show the pilot doing his thing. Some pilots may try to be smooth - others more concerned with accuracy and less with the smoothness. I cannot say I have not flown the Etendard.

USN pilot carrier approach videos appear to be edited so as to not show the complete approach and/or the canopy bits are in the way. In this video we can see that the meatball appears 'high' but that is the camera view. The pilot is likely seeing the meatball lined up accurately with the datum lights (again a guess).

The angle of attack indicator is almost impossible to see [it is on left of HUD and seems to be always dim] but sometimes it shows the 'circle' which is Optimum and sometime - very briefly - it flashes to top but then back to OPT. Mostly I cannot discern what it shows but likely always at Optimum AoA.

Carrier Charles de Gaulle, Etendard trap

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 15th Apr 2017 at 08:20. Reason: AoA Indexer Left of HUD
The following users liked this post: