PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Pilot - Nature or Nurture?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2017, 00:51
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

As an instructor in three jets over 16 years or so, the competent pilots always seemed to me to be more nature than nurture. I also noticed this as a raw nugget when first starting out.

The naturals could hold speed within two knots and altitude within 25 feet on initial for the overhead pattern and be able to talk to the tower and look around within a flight or two. The nurtured folks had to dedicate most of their time to just fly the pattern. They usually wound up in heavies or washed out when things got more complicated later in the syllabus.

Not all of my attack/fighter students were "naturals", but they had abilities besides "good hands" that compensated. The biggest thing I noticed about "naturals" was if I asked "can you feel that", and they would say "yeah, what do I do?" The "technicians" had to be taught to "feel", and that is not real easy.

If you really want to be a pilot, then you have to keep on keeping on, and that part is an attitude, which many folks do not possess. A good instructor will exploit what's there naturally and help you to learn the fine points.

Gums philosophizes......