PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 17:36
roundwego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alphanumeric wrote;-

Originally Posted by alphanumeric
They crashed into the ground as they did not realise the terrain was higher than sea level.

All this talk of databases, waypoints, EGPWS, safety culture, procedures etc does not detract from the fact that there was no proper two-crew approach brief* that discussed the elevation of Blackrock and how the approach was going to be conducted. This is standard offshore 2-crew procedure.

*Just like there was no proper 2-crew departure brief in the G-LBAL accident.
Yet another uneducated conclusion. How do you know there was not a proper two crew approach brief? They both acknowledged they were unfamiliar with the area. The report does indicate there was an approach brief but acknowledges there was no mention of the presence of Black Rock nor the lighthouse. The big question was why? I cannot believe the crew were anything but conscientious in carrying out there task so one can only assume, there was a deficiency in the way the terrain information was presented or the way the procedure was designed. As I mentioned previously, I don't understand why the prescribed track went directly overhead a 300' high lump of granite and brick.

Alphanumeric, to blame the crew in such simplistic terms puts your own professionalism in doubt.