PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 12:55
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MSOCS
No practice ramp SD, all done in the FMS and done for real at sea. Training Needs Analysis demonstrated no requirement for a land-based device because it neither replicates ship motion and brake release cadence for ship pitching, nor is there a need for pilot input as the jet leaves the ramp lip - the aircraft senses the ramp profile and pitch as it goes up and rotates/spins up lift fan and 3BSD deploys automatically.

PS - believe the WIT ramp still there but serviceability is unknown. Anyway, it's likely unrepresentative and not designed for F-35's weight or thermal profile.

Thanks for the replies on the ski jump. While I realize the ski jump has been pretty much a non-event (except by a few detractors insisting it was huge unknown risk) I do find a bit surprising that there will not be a ski jump in the UK. I believe the recent F-35B ski jump trials at Patuxent River were done on the old left over ramp that has been there for years (1980's?). Unsure if they had to do any mods to it for the B.