PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My PPL journey.
Thread: My PPL journey.
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 09:29
tobster911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Jamesgrainge said. A guide could be used, but you want to avoid it as it's just another thing that ruins your concentration whilst flying. The acronyms, once memorised, are really, really helpful, and after a few times, will literally just roll off the tongue. Practice them when you're not flying and just visualise the cockpit whilst you do it. Sounds silly, but it really works.
Same goes for all checks whilst flying, like FREDA and HASELL checks, as well as those you do for a forced landing. There's a lot to learn, but the acronyms are really, really useful.

Twice a week is a good amount of time. I've never flown the 152, but in terms of power reduction etc, I'd imagine it's similar to most aircraft. As you climb away from the runway, you want to be on full power. Perform a climbing turn (not necessarily left, and not as soon as you pass the runway, different airfields have different circuit patterns). Chances are, just as you are ready to turn downwind, you'll be at circuit height. Level off, reduce power to required RPM, then trim for straight and level. Straight away, carry out your BUMFICH checks.
On the turn onto base leg, I personally set power and flaps as I turn, so you start your descent sooner rather than later (this is mostly in part to noise restrictions where I can't overfly certain areas at my home airfield). Reduce your speed, turn onto final and radio. Enjoy it.

@jamesgrainge, interesting, you have an L in your BUMFICH *BUMFLICH checks.... Please enlighten me as to what it is, as I've never seen it before and am genuinely interested if I've forgotten something.

Thank you