PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA opinion: Aircraft must be grounded in temps over 40 degrees
Old 14th Apr 2017, 09:17
john_tullamarine

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Our regulator is hell bent on wiping out all forms of aviation beyond RPT or the military, who by their size, political power and financial resources are somewhat immune to the imposts of overregulation. For nefarious reasons we stakeholders at the bottom of the pile could never comprehend.

Oh, OK. I thought the previous CASA related comments just suggested that CASA's concern was more along the lines of "be careful out there, chaps ..".

There is no rule that says a pilot has to KNOW exactly what his takeoff distance will be. There is also no rule that says he has to DETERMINE his takeoff distance prior to taking off (or how he must determine it).

I shan't go into laboured discourse .. however, I wouldn't like to go to Court and defend whatever on the basis of your argument ...

So how do we approach that if chart data is the Holy Grail?

One of the problems (as alluded to by djpil) is that the local operational rules (20.7) were set up on the basis of now defunct local certification rules (101.xx). The US rules are a tad different in philosophy and the two don't quite mix comfortably.

On the other hand, one could consult with one's Industry Consultants (at modest expense) to sort out the problem on a specific Type basis. Seriously, though, Ron (rest his good soul) has a few things to answer for ..

Thank goodness I crash so slowly

Thanks be to the US regulator of olde who, with finger in the wind, pontificated that SE stall ought not to exceed 70 mph (61 kt for those who subscribe to that dreadful metrication stuff) on the basis that it seemed to make good sense.

At day's end, there are two important rules ..

(a) Rule 1. Don't crash

(b) Rule 2. Have a good story which will hold up in Court in the face of spirited and enthusiastic seeking of the dollar from your pocket ..

If you are able to observe Rules 1 and 2, the rest is amenable to discussion over a hot coffee.