PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA opinion: Aircraft must be grounded in temps over 40 degrees
Old 14th Apr 2017, 06:46
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
All the Cessna manuals I've seen have a preamble to the performance section which says,My interpretation of that is there is no OAT limit, if there were surely it would be in the limitations section, as some aircraft have.
Agreed, limits per FAR 23.1583 go in the limitations section of the AFM.
Per FAR 23.1587, the range of parameters required for the performance charts/tables are specified in FAR 23.45 - airport altitudes SL to 10,000 ft; temperatures from std to std + 30 deg C. Nothing in the certification or operating rules of the country of origin to suggest that the extremes of those ranges are the limits.

Earlier versions of FAR 23 required the information from SL to 8,000 ft and temperatures from 60 degrees F. below standard to 40 degrees F. above standard. An even earlier version of FAR 23 (applicable to my airplane) did not require AFMs for small airplanes to provide any such performance information.

In this discussion I use a PA28-161 AFM as my example (and some of my comments apply specifically to single pistons below 6,000 lb), relevant statements in its AFM:
"Performance information derived by extrapolation beyond the limits shown on the charts should not be used for flight planning purposes."
It only has data for a paved level runway however it has this statement: “Effects of conditions not considered on the charts must be evaluated by the pilot, such as the effect of soft or grass runway surface …”. CASA's Flight Safety magazine had an article a while back about how to deal with it - from memory, that article was based on https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20130121SSL07.pdf

Originally Posted by kaz3g
There is a flyin to Ian Dickson's and Jenny Houghton's on Anzac Day.
I'll check all of the performance info for my airplane and see if it is OK per CAO 20.7.4 for me to go - subject to the prop shop returning the delicate MT.

Last edited by djpil; 16th Apr 2017 at 00:44. Reason: note earlier versions of FAR 23