PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA opinion: Aircraft must be grounded in temps over 40 degrees
Old 14th Apr 2017, 05:11
megan

Received 399 Likes on 211 Posts
With respect to your last para JT the Cessna 206 manual data for take off and landing are given only for using the stipulated short field techniques and using a paved, level, dry runway. No figures for water soaked dirt bush strips, that also may have grass coverage, or standing water. And you are not going to use the proscribed short field take off procedure on a gravel strip due prop erosion/damage (full power prior to brake release), data for the 404 take off is also full power prior to brake release.

So how do we approach that if chart data is the Holy Grail? Only operate on paved, level, dry runways using short field techniques? I note djpil,
if one cannot determine the weight at which both runway distance is adequate and climb gradient is 6% then you shouldn't go.
which hints, to me at least, that since I can't adequately determine the runway length necessary for bush strip operations I must confine myself to a paved, level, dry runway. This despite the manual in normal procedures talking about gravel and soft field operations.

All the Cessna manuals I've seen have a preamble to the performance section which says,
Demonstrated Operating Temperature
Satisfactory engine cooling has been demonstrated for this airplane with an outside air temperature 23°C above standard. This is not to be considered as a operating limitation. Reference should be made to Section 2 for engine operating limitations.
My interpretation of that is there is no OAT limit, if there were surely it would be in the limitations section, as some aircraft have.