PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2017, 03:07
cncpc

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JimJim10
My reading of the report is they did not impact the building, they impacted rock at the western end of the island. Debris from that collision landed on the building and damaged the roof tiles. Had the aircraft hit the building there would be far more damage than just to roof tiles.

It seems from the preliminary report the light for some reason was not visible to any of the crew or there surely would have been some comment made on it.I have flown quite a bit with Irish SAR crews and having now read that report I find that quite strange. With respect,and in a professional manner, they talk about everything of relevance that they observe during a flight. That the front nor rear crew did not observe and report any lighthouse causes me to believe it was not visible for some reason. I know it is stated the light was "on" by the automated system, but how accurate that is to the actual state of the light is unproveable.
They may have been IMC, or just below the ceiling at 200 feet. I don't know, can you see a lighthouse light through a 100 vertical feet of cloud? I expect they climbed 82 feet to rock top height in their evasive manouevre and certainly would have seen the light then, if not before. Would they have seen it abeam as they went outbound at 2400?