PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: UA forcibly remove random pax from flight
Old 14th Apr 2017, 01:18
Photonic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldtora
All I'm saying is that pax have an obligation to meekly follow the reasonable rules of UA and the police , even if UA staff are not the brightest light bulbs . And UA cannot fly with more pax than there are seats . So , if someone is selected to leave , that's the way it is , end of story . If I am in a cloud to suggest meek cooperation as a way to get along , then I am in my cloud , happy and without the chaos about me at ORD . If it had been me , I would have meekly left the aircraft . Think about it
I think many of us here are thinking what we might have done in that situation. If I had been in that situation with a confirmed reservation and already belted in, politey refusing financial compensation to give up my seat, I would have left my seat before the Doctor did. Because I know what happens when the LEO shows up. But not before some angry exchanges like the following:

"Why are you selecting me instead of that guy over there? Are you profiling me because I'm Asian?" (not applicable in my case, but it's an option, and perfectly understandable under the circumstances).

"I'm traveling with my wife. Why are you breaking us up, when you only need one seat?"

"Give me a minute to write down your name (and badge number, if it's LEO) for further action. You and everyone up your chain of command will hear from my attorneys, and whatever local TV station is interested (the real threat)." And then leaning over to my wife, "You've got all this on your smartphone, right?"

And then I'd get up and leave. It's a long way from "meek" compliance, and it looks like this is what a paying passenger is required to do these days to get reasonable service for their money.