PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Bagan Fokker F100 crash in Myanmar city - Burma (Photos included)
Old 13th Apr 2017, 23:05
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a good find JS, thanks. But I disagree with you talkinair; the "old" F100 works very well and is a good instrument flying platform. A newer aircraft would do no better unless flown down a GPS approach to CAT I limits, but I don't think this airport has drawn up such an approach.

A quick read of the report puts the following questions in my mind. Firstly, what was the purpose of the Captain pressing the Alt Hold? Secondly, no mention was made of the actual mode recorder by the FDR. Why was that? The button may have been pressed but it's one of the most rarely used buttons on the panel. When functioning, with a VS or 700' or I'd expect the mode to take about 100 feet or so to take effect. That clearly didn't happen. Thirdly, did the F/O flying really have such detrimental effect? That was a very stable approach. Lastly, I saw no analysis of their failure to go around. I wonder why?