PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK or QR?!?
Thread: EK or QR?!?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2017, 21:27
bananaman2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Valmont
Wondering the same as Bush Pilot even though I don't have kids yet, rated on both 320 and 330w. Currently flying the 330.
How does the packages compare ?
I'm leaning towards Abu Dhabi even though the package is substentially less from what I hear.
Comes down to what is important to you at the end of the day.

I did the assessment at the unmentionable in 2015 before going to QR last year. I'm happy with my decision 'overall'.

Things to consider:

At my assessment at the unmentionable, we were told it is unlikely that your full allocation of leave would be awarded (because they simply don't have the capacity to do so). Not sure if this has changed but at QR I just got my full 42days allocated for the year commencing Apr 17 and got everything I wanted including 2weeks at Xmas and in July.

I heard the time to command at the Unmentionable was very long (over 5years, closer to 10). I was told by a mate who's there that this isn't true (at least in his case and others he knew) but what is true is the command failure rate is Very high - majority failing rather than the minority. Obviously you should think positive but something to bear in mind. At QR, people seem to be getting the call at 4years (although slight variations - experience, fleet etc).

At the unmentionable, I would've got 320 - I heard the roster is terrible and the 330 is not much better when you get the fleet transfer/dual rating. I got put on the 330 at QR and am happy with the roster so far... the bidding has worked well so far... when I want destinations I get them and when I bid for days off I get them also. I heard the 777 roster (and presumably 380) at the unmentionable is ok.

Also at QR if you're Type Rated (any fleet) there is no Bond. I seem to recall there was a bond at the unmentionable if you are Type Rated.

Regarding Abu Dhabi, I found it better than Doha but it wasn't 'that great', in fact some pilots I met were commuting in from Dubai.

On my batch at QR 90% of the pilots are family people and Doha works ok for them because their primary concerns are maximizing time off to spend with the family and schools... they're not bothered so much with the nightlife... and if you forget about that, then the Middle East is basically all the same... shopping malls and sand.

Anyway just a few points - you could consider a lot more, (in)stability of the airline, growth, benefits etc.