PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment Special Forces Medal
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:17
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS,

Meat Morris was driving the tank that night (C Flt - the flight that I was on), and Bernie Winters was commanding. They were both dressed in drag and decided to carve themselves a new crash gate, and as you say they took out the RHAG. The vehicle eventually stopped, and they were both arrested just over the border; Meathead claimed (not unreasonably you might think) that he was fed up and was simply trying to find the local Foreign Legion recruiting office. Apparently, and to this day I find it hard to believe, alcohol was a factor. He is still serving by the way, a Flight Sergeant (make your mistakes early!).

I was later posted back there early 90s, and the tour was great, but it never seemed to recapture the tension, dare I say it, of what was at stake in those 80's TACEVAL days. I was on 34 and then 15, and we were in and out of Bruggen all the time. Good times - we played hard but we worked very hard too. Akrotiri in the 80s was just as mad, I seem to recall one occasion when one of the OH pilots intervened, inexplicably, in a riot involving 34 and 2SG, and was hospitalised. All hell broke loose, the US ambassador pitched up from Nicosia. Tables were thumped.