PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My convoluted route to ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2017, 08:50
4535jacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverserbucket, thanks for the info. I fully recognise that going modular rather than integrated will make getting an interview an awful lot harder but with my personal situation, the modular route is the is the only option plus I am genuinely motivated by the unique and interesting modular path. I will be older than I wish when looking for a job (37-40) but I have the safety net of a pension and as an experienced chartered engineer that has just spent 18 months working in industry and for a leading construction management firm, finding a non aviation job shouldn't be too much of a challenge - well nowhere near as challenging as landing a job with an airline anyway! This will allow me to continue to financially support my family while I job hunt. This really does remove a lot of the pressure and I guess I am taking the approach that if I never get an interview or job then at least I tried and will be a much better private pilot.

It is very easy for me look back now and wish that I had chosen a flying career instead of the Army but when I think about, I would not change anything for the world. I have thoroughly loved my Army career and done so many amazing things - many of which still astonish me today! I have met, worked with and befriended some of the most incredible people imaginable, several of whom will be sadly missed, and my life is certainly enriched having known them and I have made some life long friendships. I have had the privallge of leading men on operations and I think that despite what I may do with the rest of my life, this will endure as one of my greatest achievements. The Army has also developed me as a person and provided me with some soft skills that make me very competitive compared to my civilian counterparts. I shudder to think who I would be and what I would be doing right now if I had chosen another path 15 years ago. If it wasn't for the military I would never have learnt to fly in the first place (I started gliding in the Army) and it is only due to operational deployments that i have been able to afford a Pilots Licence and aircraft ownership. Due to recent operations, I have managed to achieve many things and experience situations that I thought it take a full career to experience. Therefore I have satisfied the vast majority of my personal objectives and so feel the need for a new challenge in life and for me the pull of aviation is too great (it already dominates my life!). So I do not for one second regret my choices but feel I have to at least give this a go and try and fullfill my dream even if the odds are stacked against me - it is better to try and fail rather then never try at all!

I am keen to maximise my chances of employment by strengthening my training record which I will primarily do by completing my CPL, MEP and MEIR with one recognised training provider that is a member of the wings alliance. I am looking at using either Stapleford or Aeros. I plan to be a bit more fluid with the MCC/JOC as I hope to this with an ATO with a proven airline placement programme. I also want to do a more expensive MCC/JOC that maximises multicrew sim hours and provides a more holistic preparation for working with an airline as well as some interview prep. Although many years away, I am looking at Wings Alliance, Oxford Aviation, Kura or Aeros for this training.

Anyway, I now have a better understanding of what I need to do. I have now set my sights on:

Combined LAPL to PPL and Night Rating this year. I will also do the CPL cross country flight as part of the conversion.
2018 - IMC
UPRT in 2019. Also fly IFR on my PPL (20hrs over two years)
2020 CB SEIR with chosen ATO.
2021 start ATPL thoery with Bristol Groundschool and Complete by 2022.
2023 complete CPL with chosen ATO
2024 complete MEP with chosen ATO
2025 complete SEIR to MEIR conversion with chosen ATO and MCC/JOC with an ATO with a placement scheme. Start job hunting.

Between all this training I will continue to fly for pleasure and glider tow to maximise hours. I may also try and fit an FI course in if funds allow but the key is completing the training with no debt.

What ever happens, I am sure the next 8 years will be fun and fingers crossed, I may get to work with some of you in the future.

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by 4535jacks; 13th Apr 2017 at 09:00.