PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargolux details requested!
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2017, 23:22
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawk eye

I'm calling a certain amount of BS on your post. The Jumbo is just an aeroplane. What is it about 5000 pic that makes it enough? Why not 6000? What about those turboprops or regionals those kids joined. Should they not ask for 5000 hours pic time for the right seat too then?

No one came from the womb knowing how to fly the jumbo. I agree that straight out of flight school from a Seneca is hella way no. But at some point your 5000 PIC hour 737 dude perhaps maybe a little institutionalised and even find it harder to adopt than a guy who's naturally talented to learn with less experience, maybe 2-3000 hours flying around the strips in a small jet who's more like a sponge soaking this guff up. I think there's a tendency to gloss over the fact that everyone takes time to learn to land a new aircraft if they've not flown. Try landing a turboprop after coming off a jumbo. You'll look like a dick the first few times. Suck it up. It's called doing something new. We've all done it.

I agree some varied level of experience is a good thing when relevant and proportionate. But it's clownary to say you need experience for at random xyz level with some pic on xyz type for the right seat and that's it. No one would do anything in this job as no one would ever have the experience to start. This jobs full of people making up their own minds what relevant experience is without ever having been in the others shoes and seeing what they've been through.

A hard landing proves nothing. Plenty experienced drivers have driven these things into mountains. Careful with that supposition.

Attitude and crap crm are worse than experience levels. Whats worse a new bloke who is unsure and asks or a crusty old arse burger who thinks he knows but won't be asked without giving back attitude?

But I really call out the BS that you need to be some sort of mega astronaut PIC experienced God to fly LH. I'm a LH LS driver and it seems once people make it onto LH they develop short memories and some sort of a God complex. At least keep it real and say what's really bothering you. In a company the terms got slammed. Been there. It's a crap cake. The sooner pilots stop bitching about the symptoms as if they're the problem and tackle what is really at stake the sooner the root cause is focused on.

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 12th Apr 2017 at 23:47.