PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF 50th Reunion
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2017, 20:19
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
About 'small': I have not operated from a large deck carrier with a large angle - although some VF-805 pilots later cross decked aboard USS Enterprise. Cannot recall angle of HMS Eagle [8.5 degrees] but being my first roller deck landings what did I know. The 5.5 degree angle deck of MELBOURNE made line up easier I would imagine; whilst I do not recall the 'burble' - or that term being used - at all. So I'll guess it must have been minimal. MELBOURNE rarely made smoke during flight ops to my knowledge whereas some old 'boilers' made muchos smoke.

Having mastered approaches through the downdraught of Runway 26 at NAS Nowra (the cause of many wrecks - some fatal Sea Venoms - it even caught a RAAF Caribou) any burble must have been just a bump in the road. We did MADDLS Mirror Assisted Dummy Deck Landings (or FCLP) on RW 26 at night with sometimes a strong westerly wind. No worries - A4G had great power response at landing weights. All airfield lights were out along with as many of the base/married quarter lights as possible, with the MELBOURNE deck marked out with portable limpet lights, which could bounce alarmingly undamaged if hit by aircraft wheels, LSOs said.

One rough day I was 'long in the groove' (probably due new 600 foot circuit height) and I allowed my scan to encompass the stern of MELBOURNE doing a tight barrel roll - then went back to soda straw vision of MEATBALL - LINE UP & AIRSPEED (Optimum Angle of Attack) and never again did my vision go wide.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 14th Apr 2017 at 01:40. Reason: add MADDLS text