PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: UA forcibly remove random pax from flight
Old 12th Apr 2017, 16:08
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluSdUp
So , again , anyone. Does United demand DH crew to have PAX seat or do they also use Jump seat.

Anyone from United please inform us of Company SOP.
Originally Posted by neilki
Deadheading Flight Crew can take the jumpseat, however, they have to leave the aircraft and clear the Cockpit Access security protocols and will loose their protected 'must ride' status. ON RJ's the jumpseaters are not part of the BOW, so could conceivably have to leave later based on W&B; and then are really in trouble. That's a missed trip.
Again, maybe they can move crews around on the jumpseat in some places but it is not common in the U.S. in my experience. However, with the bankruptcies and give-backs in years past things like this are different at every carrier.

And, even if the pilots 'volunteered' to position on a cockpit jumpseat, it might not be feasible for operational reasons.

Originally Posted by neilki
A belligerent pax presents a very difficult situation for all concerned; and in the US my advice to anyone, no matter how strongly felt, is to comply with law enforcement.
I'd give the same advice overseas as well. If I refused to deplane on, say KE, OZ, SQ, or LH and claimed I had squatter's rights under PPRuNe common law or something, I would expect things to escalate.

As someone wryly observed, all the sea lawyers here on PPRuNe, including me , will become accident investigators when the next plane goes into the weeds.