PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: UA forcibly remove random pax from flight
Old 12th Apr 2017, 14:54
neilki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boarding Pax

Originally Posted by slats11
I had always thought the real problem was younger cabin crew and ground staff - dizzy with their new found responsibility and authority and self-importance.

I had assumed the PIC were generally sufficiently mature and sensible (and recognised they had far too much at stake) to get into petty power games. That is certainly the case with the pilots I know. A lot of time, blood, sweat, tears and $ to get those wings, so respect the authority granted and don't overstep the mark.

However the attitudes of a few "pilots" here has been a disconcerting revelation. Maybe it really is an industry wide thing.
The Gate Agent owns the boarding process. Republic; the operator of this flight is a decent and well regarded company. The crew, i have no doubt did not in anyway overstep their authority, I imagine the onboard crew were horrified by what happened.
However, sitting up front on US flights i see how this escalated. Deadheading Flight Crew can take the jumpseat, however, they have to leave the aircraft and clear the Cockpit Access security protocols and will loose their protected 'must ride' status. ON RJ's the jumpseaters are not part of the BOW, so could conceivably have to leave later based on W&B; and then are really in trouble. That's a missed trip.
A belligerent pax presents a very difficult situation for all concerned; and in the US my advice to anyone, no matter how strongly felt, is to comply with law enforcement. They work in an environment where their lives are on the line everyday, and sadly can treat people in a way thats indicative of the fear and anger in society at large. While they often see people having terrible days and it can shape their responses, they are generally very good indeed at handling tense situations.
Why someone with some degree of authority and tact wasn't brought on board is the biggest hole in the swiss cheese.
Sadly, calling law enforcement to deal with perceived disruptive pax is far from unheard of...
As an aside, United pax flying yesterday told me how hard the cabin crews worked to make people feel comfortable. The folks at the coal face are mortified by what happened.