PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: UA forcibly remove random pax from flight
Old 11th Apr 2017, 11:56
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This discussion about him 'trespassing on private property' or that he was in some way a 'mentally suspect individual who was given a choice', surely can't detract from the basic fact that he began his journey as a fare paying United Airlines passenger - a customer, who was quite possibly surprised to learn that the airline with which he had purchased a product could deny him so easily and with no apparent recourse over what appears to have been a misunderstanding or miscommunication. What the passenger reports and video appear to show is nothing short of extreme in my opinion and clearly demonstrates the low regard this airline and it's staff have for those who purchase their product. It is completely irrelevant in my view that this was a Republic operated service; it was undoubtedly sold on United paperwork. I do wonder what involvement the flight deck had in this (if any) though. The youth, lack of authority and presence that I have seen in some U.S. regional cockpits perhaps necessitates the use of brutal force by at least three law enforcement officers when challenged by a 69 year old man in a confined space in the presence of similar fare paying passengers, however they got their deadheading crew away and that was what clearly mattered. Reminds me of a non-US colleague who tried to buy a 4-pack of Bud from Walmart. He was only 59 though but very obviously older than 21, so good job they called security when he very gently challenged the checkout supervisor over the validity of his passport as photo ID, as it wasn't on their list. Surely the Captain could/should have intervened at some point from a management or customer care/situation containment perspective?

I have experienced very few bad experiences as an airline passenger however all of them were with United.

Last edited by Reverserbucket; 11th Apr 2017 at 12:56.