PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking on the flight-deck
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2003, 23:28
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Girl and others,

I think you have missed the point that f-a is trying to make. He may well be surrounded by an illegal act, but to report it to the management will ensure his dismissal. The horns of the dilemma that every honest whistle blower finds himself upon.

If you wish to end this problem then the first thing to do is not to appear to be concerned about it. If you are seen to be annoyed by smoke and there is a witch hunt to find out who has either contacted Pprune or the CAA then you will be assumed to be one of the possible perpetrators. It is simpler to sack a dozen to be safe than the one guy who did it. So stay low.

Check your local regulations. Is the non-smoking rule a CAA rule or a company rule? If CAA you have a case. (I use the term CAA to refer to your local legislative authority. Your acronyms may vary...)

If it is a law, I suggest that you talk to the CAA. I know many here will blast me for that but if there is one thing that yanks their chain it is the blatant breaking of a rule, as this most probably is. FOI's are pilots first and government employees second. They are remarkably approachable to a phone call that relates to rule breaking.

One problem you may have, if you call the flight operations inspectors of certain country's aviation authorities is that some of them are in the pockets of the biggest local airline or the local/national government. This may or may not be a concern with the people you are dealing with. If you think that the authority that you talk to drinks in the same bar as your boss, try another tack.

Another tack is your local 101 of any of the NGO anti smoking lobbies. They are good on procedure, and probably have on their books several cases against local companies who have failed to follow the law. You will be greeted by rabid anti smokers who may be a bit extreme for you, but they have their place.

I shall now go outside for a gentle cigar. Hypocrisy allows all the vices...