PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK: Enough is Enough
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2017, 03:17
EK_Bus Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK Woes

Originally Posted by positive stability
It’s been just under two years since I left EK and I was on a stopover catching up with friends still stuck there this week. What is extremely sad to see is how much it has changed in the relatively short time I’ve been gone and that the management, in their apparent wisdom, still seem hell bent on finding new ways of alienating their employees.

One ex colleague of the EK grinding machine who is about to join us was told in his exit interview by his CP that the cause of his workload and the lack of pilots joining was down to message boards of which pprune was highlighted. The CP that briefly said goodbye to me didn’t tell me this but he had already told me previously that I had a choice which I duly exercised.

Now I’m sitting on the outside and hearing of the antics going on this week, I thought I’d give a little external perspective on what I feel is a purely management induced problem regarding recruitment.

The crewing crises really got going due to the financial crisis post 2008. I surmise that AAR via TCAS (I’m sure sanctioned by STC) issued that email saying due to the current financial situation the pilots must become more productive for no change in remuneration, to help the company in its hour of need. Of course we all knew that this was another disingenuous way of saying we want more productivity for free and we have no intention of returning it because we will make an even bigger profit and as management get even bigger bonuses, which they duly did. The flight time limitations were set as targets and these could be exceeded using the “F” word “factoring.” But the “F” word effect upon the crew was “fatigue,” however this latter word is not in the EK management dictionary of words so it doesn’t exist.

In order to enhance the productivity the new rostering system was also introduced. The lead up by management at wash-ups was this was a life changing event and not to be so negative. It was a life changing event and as a result, many hundreds of experienced pilots have left since. The secretive company implemented rules upon rules upon the rules and the many other limitations had made this new system a nightmare for crew. A simple swap for a subtle lifestyle change was now severely thwarted by some unknown senseless rule, one of many invented to prevent any quality of life being achieved.

On top of this there have been many other mindless rules and processes implemented even in the time I’ve been out of place, but no point in highlighting them here as they’ve all been spoken of before.

So it seems all the management are now whining that PPRune and the likes are the cause of the recruitment problem, so here is the crux of the recruitment problem. When you (management) had the chance to fix the crew ratio, you got greedy and didn’t! You managed by presuming that if you ran X crew ratio and lowered the leave then you would have enough, ops normal every year, push those limits, grind that crew. People vented their frustration here because you simply could not be trusted anymore. You didn’t blatantly lie but you have been disingenuous with the truth.

The mass exodus of experienced pilots with such negative stories of how you treat your staff has ensured that PPRune is now not your problem.The industry is small relative to other industries. My current company has 4 ex EK employees and any of the younger guys who think they want to fall for all your PR spin on how wonderful it is in DXB/EK need only need to talk to any of the 4 ex EK lads and consequently they make their own opinion, none have left. My previous employer to EK has not had any go to EK for over three years (pre 2008 there were around 12 per year). Once again word of mouth and speaking to ex EK employees or even current employees is sufficient to give any sane pilot a first-hand account of the working reality and practices of this company

I do feel for my friend’s and the many other decent colleagues I used to work with who are still trapped there. The erosion of all facets of the remuneration package coupled with the rate of inflation simply means that the majority are looking elsewhere. They will take their experience with them and pass that on as well in their new company. And just to think, 10 years ago there were so many pilots wanting to join what was a reputable company and now, today they are scraping the barrel doing roadshows, even asking current employees to tell a friend. Perhaps that’s the problem then, employees should be banned from telling a friend?

Very well written PS.

Accurate, honest, succinct and eloquently crafted. I cannot add anything to your post.

I have been out of EK for 5 years now, to all my former colleagues I can attest that there is life after EK and it is good. I do not miss the rostering, lack of leave, fatigue and Management spin one bit!

They have brought it upon themselves!