PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2017, 22:44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rowly6339
Just out of interest, does anybody really expect CAX - SEN to work?

I just don't see the numbers being enough to justify it.
I like to be hopeful, but no, I can't see flights to "London" working either, and if they could I can't see them working to Southend. The hourly trains taking less than 3h30m (most expensive fare for tomorrow morning being £115.60) would even make a service to a theoretical LHR armed with many runways and that that welcomed small planes dubious.

If we say "what about tourists and the Lake District and...", then in terms of domestic travel Oxenholme is even quicker, and also closer to where people want to be. They'd be more likely to be attracted to flying if they were coming from abroad; and the place they're coming from probably has a better service to Manchester than Carlisle can ever have.

CAX to AMS and DUB maybe, (along with summer Saturday Jersey because almost every airport that doesn't have a sandy runway can apparently support that)? More than that? LCY at the biggest push? I really can't see it, though.

But who can tell... it doesn't seem like that long ago we were all firing up our Autoroute CDs to find out where Luton was, to work out whether we really should call 0870 6 000 000...

I hope it does work though. It would be nice to see a new regional airport appear to take the place of one of the many that's sadly departed :-(