PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2017, 01:41
Harry Wayfarers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It only works well because the airport is vastly underutilized. We all want the airport to grow first to 2.5 million and then to 5 million and even more. It will then have car parks that are on the other side of the airport, somewhere to sit will be a luxury and queues will become normal and then the passenger experience will be like all the other airports.

Part of me wants the airport to stay as it is now but that will be seen as failing while 5 million passengers and a Luton experience will be seen as a success.

Enjoy the airport as it is now for if things go to plan a pleasant experience could be a memory from the distant past.
Similarly I used to enjoy travelling thru BHX, I would park my car (for free) at Hampton-in-Arden station, take the three minute train journey in to the International station, then endure some 90 seconds of BMI Baby jingles en-route to the airport, check-in would be quick, just occasionally a queue at security, then thru to the departure lounge for a beer and a snack then on my way, similarly arriving back, travelling on such aircraft types as CRJ-200, BAe146, Fokkers, MD87 and occasionally a Airbus or Boeing there was rarely a queue of any significance at immigration before back on the train to Hampton-in-Arden etc.

Alas since then I understand larger aircraft types are operating at least some of the routes that I travelled on whilst BHX have extended their runway etc. but it was good while it lasted!