PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bumpiness Today
Thread: Bumpiness Today
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2017, 21:22
DesertStorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpiness Today

Haven't been on here for a while and it seems my old handle has been deleted or something has changed here.

Anyway..

A bit of advice from experienced VFR pilots here would help.. I went flying today with 2 passengers and the wind was reported as 230 at 15 knots. Aircraft similar to a Piper Arrow with VP and Retractable.

The wind from where I fly was just off the runway at 15kts and taking off and landing in a headwind.

On the climb out it felt like the plane didnt want to climb and the general Bumpiness was a challenge. Even at 2000ft trying to maintain S&L was challenging and at one stage somewhere past (Gravesend/Rochester) more rurual terrain I felt like the plane was going to tip over and send me hurtling towards the ground and the thermals were playing havoc with aispeed and my nerves and the feeling of 'woah we will tip over any second' thus making me focus even more on keeping ailerons neutral other than when needing to turn and taking a wider turn with less angle of bank than the normal 30 degree turn - before heading back.

To some that kind if wind might not be alot (even at 2000ft) but wonder what else you can do in these conditions as a VFR pilot? Still flyable but really have to focus.

Restricted airspace meant no climb to 3000ft (where it might have been better?) but I turned around and headed back.

Still good experience and the passengers enjoyed themselves but just curious as to what else one can and ought to do in these conditions?