PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My convoluted route to ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2017, 19:53
4535jacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always assumed that airlines are looking for value for money by recruiting individuals that they believe have command potential and will likely stay with the company for longer and give a better return for the initial investment or risk. I hope that my background with clear evidence of operational command and leadership would make me an attractive candidate but this is just a hope! The wings alliance website claims a statistic that older and mature FOs stay with their first airline for longer compared to younger pilots. This makes sense as we are generally more settled with a family to consider and so stability is more of a priority when it comes to job satisfaction. Hopefully 22 years of military service will also go some way to demonstrating that I am a committed individual.

Gordon, AFAIK there is no difference between IMC and IR(R) but rather IR(R) is the EASA trim for the qualification. Therefore the IMC will appear on a EASA licence as an IR(R). I don't have that many hours (over 200 and nearly all have been on taildraggers) as I didn't fly for a few years when my son was born but I am now flying 60-80 hours per year again. I have just sold my aircraft and my money will now be spent on progressing through the licences and ratings rather than hangarage and insurance.