PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Meridian PT6-42 - Hot start, or not?
Old 9th Apr 2017, 12:03
MeridianPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if I was taken for a ride when someone suggested that to me, bearing in mind that I shared my story with whomever will listen to give myself some reassurance the engine is okay.

It could have been said in sarcasm but I took it in seriousness. Although I will point you to this fact :-

In an attempt to dry crank and "test" to see how the temperatures react and recreate my mess-up, after a few circuits and landings, I taxied and began shutting down the aircraft.

ITT was stable at 620 deg - 630 deg at this point and I cut off the fuel and engine stopped. ITT dropped to around 300 and progressively but slowly declining.

I then proceeded to dry crank the engine and observed ITT drop from 260 deg to 150 deg which I think would be a good time to introduce the fuel.

I released the starter. Of course the prop was still moving but slowing down and the point when it totally stopped, the ITT rises abit again, assuming as the prop is no longer spinning.

The point I'm getting at is this :- I had already released the starter and whilst the prop was slowing down for the next 10-15 seconds, it was keeping the engine cooler as the ITT rose up the moment the propeller stopped totally.

I'm not to proficient or knowledgeable on turbine engines at all but would giving the propeller some movement by hand have the same effect?

Much thanks for all the feedback and knowledge in the thread everyone! Has provided me with a lot of reassurance and comfort and I hope other Meridian pilots may rely on it in the future.