PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My convoluted route to ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2017, 07:46
4535jacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My convoluted route to ATPL?

So I have been flying for about 7 years now and my long term goal is to gain an ATPL by my 40th birthday which is the date that I retire from my current career.

I learnt to fly 3-axis microlights and then after a year I upgraded it to an NPPL(SSEA) which I subsequently upgraded to a LAPL a few years ago. This year I will do a combined LAPL to EASA PPL conversion and Night Rating (10hours total) and next year I plan do an IMC prior to the Apr 2019 cutoff. I will also do an aerobatic rating and formation flying course.

From this point, my route to the ATPL is a little undecided but I am a thinking of then using the IMC and any subsequent IFR hours to get an SEP CBIR using my class 2 medical and with PPL IR TK - my 15 IMC hours would contribute towards the 45hours required. Then a few years after I hope to do ATPL ground school followed by a UPRT and CPL (reduced by 10hours due to having an IR). Then I will do an MEP rating and convert my SEIR to MEIR (5hours course I believe) and hopefully a MCC And JOC. It is my understanding that this route would still result in a frozen ATPL but would cost significantly less due to the 10hr reduction in the IR and CPL and since most of the IR will be done in an SEP.

Am I right in thinking that this would be an acceptable route?

Also would the airlines look at the following unfavourably?

- doing the IR before the CPL
- doing a CBIR rather than the full IR
- not doing the whole IR in an MEP but rather doing it in a SEP and then converting to an MEIR with a 5 hour course